Omigod…that was a close one.
I am in such a giddy mood right now. So…here’s the deal. I’ve been a wreck this whole day. When American Idol gets intense, I can’t help but obsess over the show. I’ve read every online recap…every Youtube comment…trying to understand…trying to pray and hope that the person who should be eliminated ends up eliminated. Every Thursday, I have class until about 8:30…and I was literally in a rut. I wasn’t paying attention. I was in a bad mood.
I was nervous.
I figured two things
would could happen.
1. A girl would be the lowest vote getter…probably Janelle or Amber…and she would have been eliminated without the save because…well…at this point, what’s the point, right?
2. Or…a girl would be the lowest vote getter…again, probably Amber or Janelle…and the judges would use the save. No problem.
Both situations would have been awful for reasons that are obvious.
Last night, I predicted that Lazaro would be eliminated…but I thought maybe I was just wishful thinking. I mean, he performed really bad this week…but he also performed pretty bad last week and he was still in the top 3. He clearly had a passionate fanbase who was “inspired” by him. So…it wasn’t a confident prediction…
…but in the end…it was the right prediction.
I really hope I’m not hallucinating right now. I really hope I’m not going nuts. Lazaro Arbos WAS eliminated, right? Like…let me check wikipedia real quick…OK, he was.
I really hope I’m not dreaming right now.
Anyway…what can I say about this? He…showed potential…and promise. He was a nice guy (I guess). And it is pretty remarkable that he’s able to sing without a stutter. He’s an…barf…”inspiration.”
But I (and I don’t recap audition episodes so there’s no way to prove this but still…) NEVER thought he was great. I didn’t think his audition was all that good. And I wouldn’t have put him past Hollywood week. While people (even respected bloggers like Michael Slezak – whom, by the way, I trust and respect more than anyone) were showering him with praise during the early stages of the season…I was sitting back and wondering what people were hearing. I’m not going to pretend that he suddenly had a downfall during the finals. Through my ears, he’s always been “not ready” for this competition. And I’m not going to sit here and offer some insincere praise towards him. It’s not technically his fault. He just played the game. The judges/producers/whoever should have realized this early on and not offer him false praise through the rounds. This is why he got as far as he did. And this is why he’s gotten all this “hate.”
I really hope Nigel can learn from this experience. DON’T JUDGE TALENT BY THE SOB STORY!
So fans of Lazaro…if you’re distressed…then prove us wrong. Support Lazaro. Buy his album. While you do that, I’ll be listening to Crystal Bowersox’s.
In other news…this is the best top 5 we’ve had in a while. AND…we’re finally going to have a girl winner. Yes, I feel a little guilty how it came to this (desperately finding amazing girls to compete against mediocre guys). But…after 5 years of WGWGs (and cough cough 3 undeserved wins), it was time. THESE GIRLS ARE TALENTED. And I think right now, they’re all deserving to win. Even with the backstage manipulation, let’s not pretend we have a sucky top 5. We don’t. Each girl has given at least a couple amazing performances and…I’ve never been more excited for a latter half of a season…coincidentally the last time I felt this way was during season 6…after Sanjaya was eliminated. Hmmmm…
I don’t want to rank these girls…
…let’s rank these girls.
1. CANDICE - OK, she’s finally number one on my list. I tear up thinking about her. Ever since she was unfairly eliminated last season, I’ve been begrudgingly following her on Youtube, wondering if she would ever make it…She’s made it. No matter what happens, I think she’ll be fine. She’ll, at worst, make 60,000 dollars a year performing gigs and making music…and that’s pretty much what one should hope for after leaving American Idol (assuming that’s not what he or she was doing before Idol…)
2. AMBER - She needs to work on diction. But I still love her “Love on Top” performance. I have to enjoy this uptempo break for as long as I can because next week she’ll be back to singing ballads (also,next week will probably be her last week so…)
3. KREE - She’s getting boring…na mean? She’s so consistent…but Candice has also been consistent, yet she’s produced more exciting moments. There might be a time when I’ll stop rooting for her…like when she’s in the top 2 with Candice.
4. ANGIE - I love how, when she has the chance, she chooses Christian songs from semi-obscure singers. I’ll…probably never like her more than my top 3…
5. JANELLE - Keep doing what you do!
So…what else? I pretty much missed the first half of the show, but I did see Kelly Clarkson perform. Her new single is awesome and she sounded great (what’s new?) For a while, because she was a mentor on Duets and The Voice, I thought maybe she was silently turning her back on Idol. I’m glad to see that she still has time to perform on it and act nice…even if (like everyone else) she probably thinks the show should just end. Hey…it’s not like any future winner would overshadow her. She’s unstoppable! I also liked her little back and forth with Mariah…and how the producers were trying to cut to commercial but they couldn’t because Kelly and Mariah are just that awesome. You know…Mariah is a weird/non-present judge…but I like her as a person, y’know? (And her obsession with Mean Girls makes me smile.)
So…does this mean the save is just not going to be used? This will be the first season since the save was first introduced that it won’t be used? Iiinteeerrresting…
Anyway. I’m happy. I’m going to bed. Goodnight, lovelies!