Emmy Picks #17 (Comedy Series)
On September 18th, the winners of the this years Emmy Awards will be announced, which means I have about 35 days to watch episode submissions, make predictions and, most importantly, decide who I think deserves to win this year. I will be doing this by watching the episodes the actors decide to submit this year, even if I’m not familiar with the show yet. Sometimes, though, I’ll be biased and choose an actor I like, even if I don’t necessarily think they submitted right. But, so far, after a quick scan through, most of the submissions from the shows I watch seem good enough.
I guess that italicized intro I use for all my prediction pages isn’t terribly relevant anymore. Eh…I’ll still keep it. Well…this is it. Here are the nominees for Best Comedy Series:
The Big Bang Theory
Parks and Recreation
6. The Office – I love this show with all my heart. But this season wasn’t very consistent. I thoroughly believe Steve Carell deserves his Emmy, and I wouldn’t mind if “Goodbye Michael” won for writing…but I don’t think the series as a whole deserves a win for this season.
5. Glee – I love Glee. Yes, it has consistency and story arc issues. Yes, half of its characters are underused. Yes, the other half are overused (cough Kurt and Blaine). Yes, it seems like the writers create a script around the songs and not the other way around like it should be. But…I look forward to it every week. Last year, they should have won. This year? Sorry…if what Ryan Murphy says is true…that there won’t be any unnecessary guest stars and the show will focus more on the characters than gimicks (like theme episodes), then maybe next season they could finally win.
4. Modern Family – Another show I really enjoy…but not gonna lie…I’ve always thought this show was a little overrated. I just think the characters are cliche (uptight mom, quarreling gay dads with adopted child, bimbo dad, old man married to hot young latina wife, smart unpopular younger sister, dumb popular older sister). I think season 2 is actually an improvement over season 1 because I think the characters were dug deeper and more complex. But…there are still other comedies I prefer.
3. The Big Bang Theory – I am so happy this friggin’ show finally got a friggin’ nomination! Bout time Emmys! This show is funny and the cast is incredibly likeable (in their own way of course). I still think the show could develop it’s characters and story lines more…but I still think this is one of the best comedy shows on TV right now.
2. 30 Rock – OK…this was conflicting. I really believe 30 Rock is the best comedy show on TV. It has been for the last 5 years, and it probably will remain that way for season 6. A win for this season would be deserved in my book…but I don’t want to see it win. One, it’s already won three times. And two, I think those wins have put 30 Rock in a place where if they make one less than perfect episode, people hate it and say the show has jumped the shark. I don’t quite know where this hate came from. Actually, I have a few theories, but I won’t get into that. I love the show…but I wouldn’t mind some new blood getting in.
1. Parks and Recreation – And that’s why Parks and Recreation should win this year. It’s funny. It’s still fresh. The comedy ensemble is just amazing, and it seems like it just gets better and better. I actually really liked the first season…so I’m glad that more and more people are finally catching on (although they all still acknowledge how terrible the first season was). I wish this show would have gotten more nominations (Nick Offerman, maybe a directing nom), but this comedy series nod is only one of many nods this show will receive during it’s run!
Will Win: While Parks and Recreation definitely has a chance to win, despite its three measly noms, it looks like Modern Family will win once again. Everyone is predicting it, and most people liked the second season as much as the first. And all 6 of the adult cast members were nominated. And it got a bunch of other noms. Yeah, this is their win by a mile.
Drama Series coming like right now since I have nothing better to do…